A Sense of Home
At Abbyson, we believe in being leaders of our community and encourage others to partake in any opportunity that impacts our youth. A Sense of Home transforms the lives of at-risk foster youth who have spent their lives in the system providing them with resources and tools to stabilize and create a home for themselves after they have become too old for the foster system. They have experienced so many obstacles and they, like the rest of our youth, deserve the chance to thrive.
Together, we've been able to provide former foster youth with their first furniture sets, for often times, the first "homes-of-their-own."
Danielle represents one of the many individuals whose lives have been impacted by gracious offerings from A Sense of Home. The beauty of this organization's nature is that it lifts the spirits of those who give, as well as those who receive. This organization has provided her with a sense of community, work ethic and leadership skills that were never offered to her as a foster child. As a furniture manufacturer, we understand the value of a comfortable home and the significance to raise awareness and to give back to our local communities.
Why It Matters
- Abbyson has donated 150 sofas to A Sense of Home—about a year’s supply for the organization—and other pieces of furniture, including chairs, armoires, and tables
- In the past two years since its founding, A Sense of Home has created 120 homes and placed 180 youth in beds
- More than 1 in 5 will become homeless after age 18, and 50% of foster youth who "age out" experience periods of homelessness
- 58% will graduate high school by 19 (compared to 87% of all 19 year olds)
- At the age of 24, only half are employed
- Fewer than 3% will earn a college degree by age 25 (compared to 28% of all)
- 1 in 4 will be in the justice system within 2 years of leaving foster care
- 71% of young women are pregnant by 21, facing higher rates of unemployment, criminal conviction and public assistance
"Our family has always believed in the act of helping others. It is the core value that has been instilled in our foundation since childhood. We take great pride in the ability to partake in such an incredible program that impacts so many young lives. We encourage people
all around to join together and continue giving back."
– Yavar Rafieha, President